Hampi Village, Karnataka
Hampi village has been recognized as Best Tourism Village 2023 in Bronze category.
Hampi stands as a living testament to the grandeur of the Vijayanagar Empire. Crowned by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, this historical village weaves a tapestry of ancient temples, majestic forts, and opulent palaces that have defied time's passage.
This journey extends to responsible tourism, embracing eco-friendly practices, recycling, waste reduction, and green transportation. Recognized under the Karnataka Tourism Policy.
Hampi not only offers a glimpse into the past but also contributes to local employment and socio-economic growth.
With its illustrious past and commitment to a vibrant future, Hampi showcases what responsible tourism can achieve. Hosting G20 Culture and Sherpa meetings and thriving under Swadesh Darshan Scheme 2.0, continues to flourish.
Hampi is a historical village which is situated in state of Karnataka and was capital of the Vijayanagar Empire. Hampi recognized by UNESCO as World Heritage Site, several ancient temples, forts, palaces and other historical structures are present.
The current tourist flow of Hampi is (Domestic – 7,16,681 and International – 6892). The total number of available Hotels and Resorts is 24 and total number of rooms 1070, and other types of available accommodation is homestay.
Cultural and Heritage Resources (The rocky terrain with boulders is a prominent feature and prominently featured in promotional campaigns. Situated in the northern bank of Tungabhadra River which supports the flora and fauna of the village and is recognised for its ecological and biodiversity values.)
- INITIATIVE/ EVENTS/ ACTIVITIES
1. Hampi World Heritage Management Authority is the administrative authority and has developed a Master Plan to ensure planned and sustainable development that is aligned with built and natural heritage of Hampi.
2. Environmental Management Plan, Eco-Friendly Accommodations, Recycling and Waste Reduction Programs.
3. Community-Based Conservation Initiatives, Responsible Tourism Practices and Green Transportation.
4. Hampi is recognized as a focus tourism destination under the Karnataka Tourism Policy 2020-26 which has prioritized it for development.
5. Hampi is the starting node for the North Karnataka Tourism Circuit being developed by Department of Tourism.
6. Tourism investments are encouraged under the Karnataka Tourism Policy by providing a range of incentives, subsidies, and concessions.
7. Swachh Bharat Mission.
8. HWHAMA Master Plan
9. Women produced products and handicrafts are promoted.
10. Promotion of green transport.
11. Information is available in Braille language.
1. Employment opportunity and socio-economic upliftment for locals.
2. Revenue enhancement trough tourism.
3. Development of tourism infrastructure and facilities.
4. Licensed tourist guides; stipend of INR 5,000 per month is provided by Govt of Karnataka.
5. Deployment of Tourist Mitra (Tourist Police) from local population.
6. G20 Culture and Sherpa meetings were held in Hampi which has improved local infrastructure and related new opportunities.
7. Development of Hampi under Swadesh Darshan Scheme 2.0
8. Focus Tourism Destination under Karnataka Tourism Policy 2020-26.
9. 7 women guides have been recognized by DoT.